Surge Protector – Power Bar Safety
At Home Safety
Even More Safety Tips
Every year, thousands of fires result from improper use of surge protectors, power strips and electrical cords. Listed below are some suggestions to help prevent a possible fire from beginning at these electrical connections.
Multi-Outlet Device Safety
- Surge protectors, power strips or extension cords are not a substitute for permanent wiring.
- Be sure to use a UL or CSA approved device. These have been tested for safety and effective electronics protection.
- Use only surge protectors or power strips that have an internal circuit breaker. These units will trip the breaker if the power strip is over loaded or shorted to prevent overheating.
- Multi‐outlet devices should only be used for computers, audio and video equipment and low amperage office equipment.
- Do not locate in an area where the unit would be covered with carpet, furniture, clothing or any other items that will limit or prevent air circulation.
- Do not use multi‐outlet devices or extension cords in an area where they will be exposed to moisture.
- Each cord should be plugged directly into a structurally mounted electrical receptacle and should not be chained together or fed from another extension cord.
- There should only be one surge protector or power strip plugged into a single duplex electrical outlet.
- Ground pins on the plugs and the devices plugged into the receptacles must be intact.
- Units must be free of cracks, splits, fraying and other damage as a result of general wear and tear.
- Cords must not be coiled or looped when in use.
- Do not run through doorways, windows or holes in the wall, floor or ceiling.
- If the multi‐outlet device experiences a fault, the device should be tested by qualified personal prior to placing the device back into service.
- If at any time the surge protector or plug strip is hot to the touch, remove and replace the unit immediately.