Farm Fire Safety
Farm Safety, Fire Safety
Download Farm Fire Safety
Even More Safety Tips
Apartment & Condominium Safety
Attached Garage Fire Containment
Backyard Animal Housing Safety
Electric Construction Heater Safety – Portable
Fire Extinguisher Operation & Maintenance
Fire Extinguisher Use on Farms
Flammable Liquid Transfer Safety
Home Fire Escape Planning Tool
Liquid Fertilizer Storage Tank Safety
Off–Road Vehicle & Trailer Theft Prevention
Off–Road Vehicle Accident Prevention
Polyurethane Foam Insulation Safety
Each year in Canada, there are approximately 800 fire-related deaths. Many of these occur on farms. Fires on farms pose a special threat because most farmers are far from fire-fighting equipment and lack the water needed to extinguish fires. The economic and personal losses are severe and proportionally higher than those from fires in urban areas. Safety Rules
- Never permit smoking in barns or near any flammable materials.
- Never refuel engines inside a building or while the engine is hot or running.
- Avoid spontaneous combustion in hay by ensuring that it is properly dried before putting it in the barn.
- Ensure that all electrical installations and wiring are inspected and approved by the hydro authority.
- Only burn rubbish in an incinerator equipped with a spark arrestor. The incinerator should be located 30 meters from any major buildings.
- Attach lightning rods to all major buildings.
- Equip crop dryers with controls that will automatically shut off blowers or dampers when they get too hot.
- Label and store pesticides in a separate building.
- Never store fuel inside a building.
- When a fire breaks out in a house or farm building, everyone must be evacuated from the building immediately. Normal exits may be blocked, so you must have emergency exits.
- Close all the doors and windows as you escape the fire; failure to do so may cause air drafts which will fan the fire.
- When everyone is out of the building, call your local Fire Services Department. Give them your name, address and the exact location of the fire.
- Never allow anyone to re-enter a burning building.