At Home Safety, Fire Safety
Even More Safety Tips
Most arson fires are started outdoors. Don't make it easy for an arsonist to start a fire or easy for an outdoor fire to spread to other buildings. The following are some preventative tips for you to reduce malicious fires.
Arson Prevention Tips
- Keep garbage, litter, leaves, firewood, overgrown brush and shrubbery, and other combustibles away from buildings.
- Lock all doors and windows in garages, sheds, cars and unoccupied buildings.
- Install outdoor lighting, including motion sensor lights, on all sides of your property.
- Board up abandoned buildings and clean the area of litter and debris.
- Securely store combustibles such as paint, gasoline, and oil in proper flammable storage containers in a locked location to restrict access. Minimize the quantity of combustibles in storage and dispose of materials you don’t need.
- Report suspicious activity near houses, garages, alleyways, or other buildings to your local fire or police department.
- Get to know your neighbours – together you can keep a watchful eye on your community.
- Keep matches and lighters out of reach and out of sight of children. If you suspect a child is setting fires, notify the proper authorities.
- If you know or suspect that an arson crime has been committed, contact your local fire or police department.