9-Volt Battery Safety
At Home Safety, Fire Safety
Even More Safety Tips
9-Volt Batteries can be found in most homes: powering our smoke alarms and toys. These batteries can also pose a problem if not stored safely or disposed of with care.
- 9-Volt batteries can be dangerous as the positive and negative posts are very close together. If a metal object touches the two posts of a 9-volt battery, it can cause a short circuit which can make enough heat to start a fire.
- Weak batteries may also still have enough charge to pose a fire hazard. There have been cases where fires have been started in trash when 9-Volt batteries were thrown away with other metal items.
Storing 9-Volt Batteries
- Avoid storing 9-Volt batteries in drawers near paper clips, coins, pens, batteries or other metal objects. Do not store common household items, such as steel wool, aluminum foil and keys near 9-Volt batteries. If these items touch the two posts, there is a greater risk of sparking a fire.
- Keep batteries in their original packaging until you are ready to use them. If loose, keep the posts covered with masking, duct or electrical tape. This prevents the posts from coming in direct contact with metal objects.
- 9-Volt batteries should not be thrown away with regular trash as they can come into contact with other batteries or pieces of metal.
- 9-Volt batteries can be taken to a collection site for household hazardous waste.
- To be safe, cover the positive and negative posts with masking, duct or electrical tape before getting rid of batteries.