Insurance to Value: Understanding the Basics
At Red River Mutual, we believe the best insurance policy is the one you never have to use, and we want to make sure we do as much as we can to protect what matters most – you and your stories! This focus is a part of our Insurance to Value initiative we offer for our policyholders.
What is Insurance to Value?
Insurance to Value means getting the right amount of insurance that will protect the true value of your property.
How do I determine the “true value” of my property?
Our Loss Prevention program offers consultative services with our Loss Prevention Specialists, who will complete a thorough site visit of the premises. The goal of this visit is to provide valuable recommendations to reduce risk of loss or damage to your property, and to ensure that adequate limits of coverage are placed.
What if I make changes or upgrade anything on my property?
When you apply for or renew your insurance policy, it’s important to review details about your personal property that you want insured with your broker. Depending on your policy, things to consider may include:
- If you have a new roof, flooring, or windows.
- If you have attached structures, like gazebos, sunrooms, or patio areas.
- If you have permanently installed equipment or machinery on your property.
Quick Tip: It’s good practice to let your broker know any time you make any upgrades or changes. Not every change may affect your policy, but it’s better to be safe than sorry! We’ve put together a blog outlining What You Should Know Before Starting DIYs to help.
The main benefits of Insurance to Value
It is important to provide as much information as possible when applying for your insurance policy because it helps:
- Improve the accuracy of risk evaluation specific to your property.
- Calculate the proper amount of insurance coverage you will need.
- Ensure you are properly protected against a potential loss or damages.